Everyone appreciates a good handyman and when you can assure your clients that you are licensed and insured they will feel even more confident using you and referring you to others. Here are the requirements for a handyman license in the State of Utah:
As you read through these requirements consider that you can complete these steps yourself or there are business registration services and accountants who also help with business registration and can complete all or some of these steps for you. If you would like a referral of a friendly business who can help, just give us a call.
Most handymen work by themselves but if you have employees the steps to register and pay them are daunting and most businesses will use a payroll service who will complete these steps for you.
Here are the requirements for a handyman license in the State of Utah:
- If you are an LLC, register your entity with the Utah Department of Commerce: Online Business Registration – corporations.utah.gov This assures that your name is available and helps prevent others from registering a business in your name. You can also register a DBA here, i.e., Anderson Insurance LLC DBA Anderson Insurance Group
- Obtain a COI – Certificate of Insurance from Anderson Insurance Group. The certificate must name The Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing PO Box 146741, Salt Lake City, Utah 84114 as a certificate holder. You will need to submit this COI with your registration form.
- If you will have employees:
- Obtain workers compensation from Anderson Insurance Group and a certificate of insurance naming DOPL – Department of Professional Licensing as certificate holder.
- Submit a copy of the worker compensation insurance certificate with your registration.
- Obtain an Employer Identification Number from IRS. Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)
- o Obtain a state withholding tax registration number from the Utah State Tax Commission. Employer Withholding (utah.gov)
- o Obtain an unemployment registration account number from the Utah Department of Workforce Services. Utah Unemployment Insurance and New Hire Reporting
- Complete the Utah handyman registration form: Microsoft Word – Handyman_App_20220428 (utah.gov) And submit the $35.00 fee.
- You can mail your application to the address on the form or take it to DOPL at 160 E 300 S 1st floor lobby, Salt Lake City UT 84111.
The Utah handman license will have some restrictions, here are the basic restrictions:
- Cannot do any repair, remodeling addition or improvement of a building over $3000.00 including materiale.
- With some exceptions for replacement of a plumbing or electrical fixture the Utah handyman license does not permit work on electrical or plumbing if that work is subject to the plumber or electrical licensing requirements.
- For a complete list of what a Utah handyman can do click here: Utah Code Section 58-55-305
Anderson Insurance Group loves our Utah handymen and handywomen and are here to support you any way we can. Call us for any questions and for more information regarding Utah handyman insurance.